Rebecca was brought up in Carlisle and after completing a Foundation course at Cumbria College of Art and Design she trained as a jeweller, graduating with a BA in Jewellery Design from Middlesex Polytechnic, London, in 1985. This was followed by a period of postgraduate study in Fine Art and Painting Restoration in Florence. She returned to Cumbria in 1989 and since 2002 has worked full-time as a painter and printmaker from her studio in the village of Blencarn, near Penrith, working mainly in oils and stone and plate lithography.
Recent exhibitions include;
Rebecca's prints have been shown in exhibitions within the UK and further afield in New Zealand, Bulgaria, France and Spain and are included in the collection of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
- July 2014 Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition, Derwent Prize winner
- January 2014 Two person exhibition, paintings, Bellwood and Wright Fine Art, Lancaster
- July 2013 'The Paintings of Alan Stones and Rebecca Payn' Castlegate House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- December 2012 'C>Art at Tullie', an exhibition of Cumbrian artists and designers. Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle, Cumbria
- November 2012 'A Winter Selection', Castlegate House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- October 2012 'Das Kleine Format', Diessen, Bavaria
- October 2012 'Connections and Differences, 2012', two person exhibition with Alan Stones, Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal
- September 2012 British Week in Diessen, Bavaria
- March 2012 'Working Woodlands; the Story of Coppice', Farfield Mill, Sedbergh